Monday, February 14, 2011
hard to resist
Even though I am in the midst of this big production crunch, I took some time off this weekend for a dye pot experiment. Since fresh leaves are so scarce now I wanted to try to create a resist print using leaflets from the evergreen nandina shrub (thank you India for the suggestion). For the dye color I mixed hibiscus tea and red onion skins, fully expecting a wine color, or pale maroon. Instead I got the most beautiful dark brown color, especially on the wool fabric (below). I love surprises.
I had mixed results with the resist prints. It worked well on the fabric near the surface, but I realized that I don't know how to get the dye color to penetrate the bundles to create the contrast deeper inside... But that is what I love about this process — there is always something new to learn, and frequently the results are still quite magical. In this case I was amazed by the deep color, and the soft suggestions of the leaves. And those string marks are pretty cool. Happy valentines day everyone. Spread the love...